I just got this wonderful book as a gift: Why Business People Speak Like Idiots : A Bullfighter’s Guide, by Brian Fugere, Chelsea Hardaway, Jon Warshawsky
I know a lot has already been written about this but boy, it made me blush for all the times I have used such absolutely useless jargon and taken way to long to say something simple. Made me think of some good quotes for the day:
- “I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make it short.” – Pascal
- “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” – Lincoln (also credited with the above quote); and…
- “Don’t give me none o’ that jibba-jabba!” Mr T. (in the dedication to the above book.
In addition to writing this book, guys also wrote a piece of software that reviews your documents and points out the BS. They wrote this while consultants at Deloitte & Touche (which originally gave the software away for free but now is no longer associated). One blogger wonders how consultants have enough time to focus on building such a tool instead of adding value and leveraging customers’ potential. If you haven’t already checked it out, you should, download it here.
- Blockbuster announcing the end of late fees but not meaning it.
- Dumb corporate anthems (vs. jingles which I think are a lost art); and
- Microsoft’s ads on Your Potential Our Passion which I won’t comment on out of loyalty to my former employer.